I am new to the Discourse, so I am posting even here before filing a Drop ID.
In the “About the Appeals” category, I read that you can post if you “are genuinely eager to discover better ways of using the proof of attendance protocol”, and this is my case. If there is a better category for this post, I apologize.
We are a group of academic researchers who have created a public survey about crypto and financial inclusion and we want to have a drop that is potentially large: say from 2000 to 10000, potentially more if we are very successful. Hard to say now, that is also why we did not create a petition yet, we are waiting to know the exact number.
So we want to make it right. We are aware of the latest discussions here on preventing farming and limiting pre-announcement of drops.
POAP - The bookmarks of your life
Nature of the event
People completed the full State of Crypto Survey 2022
We will give links to all genuine participants who completed the survey. To prevent farming :
- We have h-captcha and honeypots to catch bots.
- After the survey is completed, we will verify all responses to exclude bots, duplicates, and random responses.
Why do you believe this petition is being held?
I made a comment here: Guidelines Update: POAP Pre-Announcement - #33 by shakty
that pre-announcement strategy should be disclosed in the appeals, so here is our strategy.
- We don’t advertise the drop on social media or web site.
- Shortly after starting the survey, we tell participants that if complete the survey will receive a POAP. So we use effectively use it also as an incentive to complete it.
- As mentioned before we still check all answers before issuing the POAP to exclude farmers.
Thanks for any feedback!
Thanks for all the context and for explaining your plan to us. We REALLY appreciate it
POAP is an ecosystem for the preservation of memories.
A part of the core value proposition of POAPs is that they are a souvenir your get simply for doing something you generally like to do in your life – there is no particular transactional incentive.
POAPs as an incentive for transactional behavior aren’t typically approved. But we’re willing to try how it works for your community.
We checked out your community size, and it seems it’s a pretty new project, so we recommend starting with 50 POAPs as a test of the use-case. Curators are willing to approve up to 200 if the distribution is responsibly done.
My recommendation is to read the Issuer Guidelines before submitting the petition.
If you have any questions, please let us know!
Hi @Fio ,
Thanks for getting back! I understand 200 is generous offer for a new project like ours. Thanks for that!
We effectively haven’t launched yet, but we expect to have significantly more than 200 to issue. Here is a couple of proposals:
- The survey is planned to stay open for ~4weeks, so would a progressive strategy make sense? As participants take the survey, we monitor the situation submit a petition for the first batch (X=200-500?), then if there is more, we ask for more, and so on. Alternatively, we could have a POAP for the first week, one for the 2nd,3rd,4th…However, we don’t like this approach too much, because—if known—gives an incentives to farmers to take the survey multiple times.
- We definitely don’t want to abuse the system, so if numbers are much higher, perhaps we can contribute to cover part of the costs? In academia budgets are really tight, so I can’t put down a number now, but it would be a way to show we care about POAP.
TY for the additional context.
Our recommendations are:
1- Not to pre-announce the POAP, to avoid farmers.
2- Submit the petition once the campaign finishes.
Unfortunately, we don’t have a solution for that yet. We’re working on it, and we hope we have some news soon.
Let us know if you have any questions!
Thanks, I will write again after we have definitive numbers.