Onboarding new POAP users at IRL event

Hello POAP team!

I was over in the discord talking through the logistics of an upcoming event and Worthalter suggested I start a conversation here.

I’ve been asked to oversee In-person distribution for what will end up being around 40 POAPs. We’re hosting the Creator Economy Expo in Phoenix the first week of May and there will be a max of 500 attendees plus staff.

One of the ideas we had to drive traffic to the sponsors of the event was to create a Secret Word POAP drop for each of them and then encourage our attendees to ask for the secret word when they are interacting. At the end of the event we’ll use the PAOP.fun raffle to give out some prizes to those that claimed POAPs. While we doubt we’ll get 100% participation, we want to make sure we have enough for everyone. So we’re hoping you’ll be able to issue enough links for all attendees to claim a POAP from each of the sponsors.

The next thing we’d like to do is allow each attendee to claim a unique POAP at each of the sessions they attend. Some of these sessions will be Keynotes, so we’ll need one mint for each attendee. Others run concurrently, so we can get by with fewer links. These will all be secret word drops. We’ll have the speaker give the word out during their presentation.

One of the things we hope to do after the event is over is use the POAPs to create something of a social graph for the attendees to explore and help them connect with people who might have unknowingly followed the same path.

On a related note, I plan to give out a personal “You Found Me!” POAP during the event using the Magic POAP Dispenser. I’ll be facilitating some discussions and I’ve already encouraged people to introduce themselves at the event so that they can claim. To make sure that I don’t run out, I requested 500 links, but I only received 200. So I’d like to request the remainder if possible. the event ID is 39275. BTW, something happened when I uploaded the aPNG. I’m gonna see what I can do to fix that before the event goes live.

Here is a link to the actual event…

I distribute POAPs for both OdysseyDAO and Song-A-DAO on an ongoing basis. Here is a link to the very first POAP I created.

And here is the POAP I helped put together for a cohort of people who successfully created and shipped a Thing-A-Day for the month of February. The image contains pieces of all of our work.

Thanks for all you do! I look forward to your response.

Hey @MarkBuildsIt

Thanks for the context and all the info provided!

So you need 2 POAPs, right? 1 for the Sponsors and other for “You found me”?

For an IRL event we don’t recommend using Secret word. Common use cases are digital meetups like Twitter Spaces or Discord stages, where you can share the Secret verbally and close the minting window after the drop ends.

We recommend using Mint links and distributing with a Magic Dispenser instead :slight_smile:

Regarding the issue with the aPNG, can you please contact the POAP Customer Support team? You can chat with them via the chat bubble at the POAP website: https://poap.xyz/

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best,
The POAP Curation Body

Hello @Fio

I’m going to need around 40 POAPs total. Some with around 500 links each, and the remainder with about half that many. The reason we wanted to use Secret Word was so that the presenter could give it out to the entire group at once instead of asking 500 people to wait in line to individually scan a code on a phone. For a one to many distribution, it just seems easier to go with secret word. But I may be looking at it the wrong way. Maybe we could put the QR code from the dispenser in the slide deck? I’m not sure if people in the back of the room would be able to scan it properly.

For my personal “You Found Me!” I just need about 200 more links. I’ll definitely be using the magic dispenser because I’ll be handing them out in the course of smaller, more personal conversations. I think the art is OK, btw. Maybe my browser just needed to be refreshed.

Hey @MarkBuildsIt

Sorry for the delay. I’ve discussed this use-case with the Curation team and we came to the conclusion that Secrets are not the appropriate method for this type of event.

You would have to distribute via mint links and use the Magic Dispenser to generate a QR code.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,
The POAP Curation Body

Ok. So I guess we’ll have the presenter embed thier unique QR in their slides. Any issue with getting around 500 links for each of the the larger events?

Also… are you recommending the Magic Dispenser because it doesn’t require the recipient to have the app? Can they just scan the code with their camera? I help with a lot of different POAPs, so I’m just trying to fully understand the logic. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @MarkBuildsIt

NP in getting 500 POAPs, in case you have a good distribution plan :slight_smile:
Devil is in the execution :sweat_smile:

We’re recommending the Magic Dispenser for in-person distribution (booths or You’ve met me POAPs) to avoid farming (Secrets and Websites are easy to share and the POAPs can be farmed)

The Magic Dispenser is a Dynamic QR code that changes when someone scans it.

For the Keynotes, Secret word will be fine. Remember to:

• Use a random Secret; don’t use a word that is in the title of your drop. For example, for a drop titled “Isabel’s Birthday at Ahupulco,” a secret word like “WeLovePuppies” is fine, but “IsabelAhupulco” is easy to guess and should not be used.
  • Activate the Secret only at the start of your event and deactivate it as soon as it finishes.
  • Only announce the word verbally (don’t share it by DM or elsewhere online).

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

All the best.
The POAP Curation Body

OK.

Thank you so much for clearing that up!

We’ll train the sponsors up on the Magic Dispenser and make sure our keynotes pick some really random secret words.

I’ve been requesting 500 links with each drop, but they typically come back with 200. Should I just use the Back Office to request 300 more?

1 Like

Hey @MarkBuildsIt :wave:

Please distribute the first 200 and then request a top-up if needed :slight_smile:

1 Like