Is there a "trick" to getting POAPs approved?

I appreciate the post that shares some ‘best practices’ around what gets a POAP approved, but I found a lot the suggestions pretty subjective. Passing judgement on something before it is live as “unremarkable” and “poor drop execution” really stinks. We’re all just trying to learn how to use this platform, and the communities we try to do these for are all unique, so I’d love to see more willingness from the approval team to give a bit more leeway, or at the very least a bit more back and forth dialogue than what I’ve seen lately. I don’t believe just letting something sit in limbo for 24+ hours with no communication is a great standard to set.

There isn’t really a trick to it – but as an ecosystem for the preservation of memories, the guiding star is to celebrate something memorable.

Curator Guidelines: Creating Quality Drops

A few things to keep in mind:

• The review process is manual, and done by a currently small team. The less detailed information is provided in the petition, the more background research, and potentially attempts at communicating with issuers, go into reviewing them. This will take longer.
  • This process currently supports an incredible volume. Community updates and brainstorming process details some of the challenges involved in this, but long story short, if something doesn’t clearly reflect best practices, its likely to take longer.
  • Likewise, history with the platform (good conduct within the community and such) helps. To the extent that curators need to guess about the intentions of issuers, a history of using good faith efforts to problem solve constructively will be in your favor.

As with most things in web3, the platform is highly experimental; we don’t pretend to be perfect, although we are committed to iterative improvement to preserve the health of the ecosystem as a whole. As such, we need to acknowledge that the relationship between POAP issuers and the Curation Body needs to be bi-directional for things to be better.

Ultimately – be a part of the change you want to see. Submit good petitions; teach others to do the same. This will make things better for everyone.

6 Likes

An interesting metric to note is that 90% of the drop requests get positive reviews in 1-2 hours after they are posted, without doing anything else than following the guidelines published in this same forum. Not sure if that qualifies as a trick but it’s a strong hint.

8 Likes

I appreciate the response, and I don’t really refute much of it, I think the one thing I’d say is that giving people the chance to learn through experience is a tenet of web3. Having your first, or one of your first, submissions get pocket vetoed because of somewhat subjective guidelines doesn’t feel like it fits that spirit.

But to offer a suggestion to “be the change” - it would be great to see an over communication on why someone’s first few submissions do or don’t meet the standards. Not just a “if your submission isn’t approved come to a forum to ask about it” approach. Again, mostly for first time or first handful of times someone submits. Sort of an on boarding of sorts for those that are clearly expressing they want to be a part of this process.

1 Like

I feel you. On the other hand, you wouldn’t believe how many people try to use “new” emails for every submission in order to take advantage of our general lean towards being more lenient with new issuers.

It’s not very black and white, and while we’re working to improve the tooling that gives us visibility on some of these matters, everything is a work in progress. Establishing more direct communication channels with issuers is a big part of this initiative, but communication takes two parties.

If I were in a cheekier mood, I’d tell you that the experience you’re describing is somewhat a learning experience on its own – but in reality, personally I’m really looking forward to the day that we’re not turning away people looking to join the community in good faith just because the network grew faster than our product development team could keep up with. For now all I can offer is my sympathies for your experience, and an offer to offer quality feedback on the particular situation you may be referring to, if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I appreciate that. And I can certainly sympathize with the support/community scale challenges. I’ll spend a bit more time pulling more productive thoughts together. Have a good one!

hello one thing to note is after reading th e get started here page I am still a bit confused on where to put in the requests exactly

1 Like

I don’t know how, but an auxiliary tool of a visual intelligence question is both entertaining and along with the degen robot, it can be the best way so that only those who deserve it get it.