#33491 - Choy Madness Round 2

2. Fat Choys is a community inspired by Chinese Zodiacs. www.twitter.com/thefatchoys; discord.gg/fatchoys

3. Nature of the event
    Members will play zodiac basketball with our custom Discord Bot! Users who participate in each round will get a POAP per round to commemorate their participation.

4. Distribution plan
    We’re giving this POAP to our community members who are participating in Round 1 of our March Madness activities via Discord bot. We created this bot too only share POAP links with real participants, and non-winners will be able to try again periodically. Our community loves to commemorate their participation with POAP!

5. Why do you believe this petition is being held?
    We think we submitted a very clean drop request so wonder if things are just backed up, or if we need to provide more info for the mods. Thank you, eager to move ahead!

Hey @KL_FC

Do you have a list of the participants?
Where can we see info of the bot?

• We do not yet have a list of participants, because we have had to postpone the event for over a week now as we wait for the POAPs. Since the event occurs in our discord, the only participants will be people who have passed multiple forms of captcha and discord verification to protect from bots. To further protect from bots the event is only open to a special role in our discord that requires repeated human engagement to earn.

• The bot is hosted on my personal repl.it but if you need I can provide source code. I’m not sure what you’re looking for from the bot however… here is what it does:

1. Registers a users request
  2. Checks the users roles to ensure they are eligible
  3. Checks to see if the user has already claimed another POAP
  4. Checks to see if the user qualifies for the poap
  5. Delivers them a private and ephemeral link if they qualify
    5a) Delivers a message indicating the user’s ineligibility if they do not qualify
1 Like

Hey @KL_FC

I see you received a positive review for 100 out of 600 codes and your distribution was pretty seriously compromised :confused:

Check out all the addresses with tremendous numbers of POAPs:

Please review the POAP Distribution Methods article and chat with the POAP Customer Support team before submitting future petitions. They will help you find the best ways to avoid farming.

Best,
The POAP Curation Body

Fiore,

Thank you for your response and taking the time to come into our discord and check out our Choy Madness event.

I’m not sure why we only received 100/600 codes - if it was any reflection on our submission we would like to understand why so that we don’t repeat the mistake.

As for the allegation that our distribution was compromised, I’m curious what metrics you use to determine who is, and who is not, a bot. After manually scrolling through all 98 participants in that POAP Gallery and checking their POAPs and on-chain activity, I would estimate the number to be 4 or ~4% of the entire drop. I would say that is an extremely robust bot prevention mechanism.

As you saw when you visited our discord there were 3 levels of required human interaction to submit a request to the bot for poap - who then made the ultimate decision whether or not the user was human. That’s 4 layers of security which worked fairly well in my opinion. If you disagree, please inform me of precisely what security measures POAP is looking for so that I can build them into our systems.

Thank you,
KL

Hey @KL_FC

I’m happy to work with you and find ways to prevent farming. You received a positive review for 100/600 POAPs because we wanted to see how the distribution was executed.

600 mint links is a large drop and it requires responsibility in the distribution. Submitting petitions and distributing POAPs may seem easy, but conducting quality drops is an art and a science that requires issuers to deeply understand both the POAP protocol and their community. This knowledge and experience are gained with time, drop-by-drop.

First-time issuers should build up experience by starting with small, low-key events with simple POAP distribution before expanding to larger and/or more ambitious distributions. A good practice before submitting a petition is to familiarize yourself with the various distribution methods.

When we say that POAP is an ecosystem for the preservation of memories, we intend for POAPs to be mementos of a particular experience. A part of the core value proposition of POAPs is that they are a souvenir your get simply for doing something you generally like to do in your life – there is no particular transactional incentive.

What we’re trying to avoid here is not only bots but also people who do X just to get a POAP. There are some people that are only after free NFTs, and they do not add value to your project.

Is there a way that you can vet the collectors to ensure that at least a good portion of the rest of the drop goes to genuine members of your community? Asking them a question only attentive individuals would know to prequalify, for instance?

Hi Fiore,

I appreciate your willingness to help us. Our community absolutely loves POAP, as do we, so we want to make sure we can keep giving them out as momentos for events that we have.

It is also our goal to only be rewarding active members of our community. Some ways we have achieved this in the past is adding an additional layer of security to our bot, so that it can only be accessed if users have a specific role that we have manually given. We could start reinstating that as a possibility. Another idea would be to use a secret word or phrase that we would circulate only by word of mouth in our discord and would need to be entered before getting the link. A final idea (for now) would be to use some sort of puzzle as a final step for unlocking the POAP. This could be done simply, like a captcha, or in a fun way that incorporates elements of our community. Please let me know what you think of these suggestions. They could be implemented quickly.

Separately, we have weekly twitter spaces that we like to give a POAP for (typically 100 links or less is sufficient). This distribution we do by hand to ensure only people present on the spaces receive the drop. I think in this instance we should be within community guidelines, is that correct?

Our intention has always been to use POAPs as dictated by the community guidelines. I personally have gone through great lengths to eliminate bot participation. I do, however, hear your concern about people receiving links as a byproduct of participation vs. the goal of participation. That is something that we can start to address by utilizing some additional gating methods described above, and eliminating public-facing advertisements of POAPs, which we now understand to be against the ethos of POAP. I’m open to continuing dialogue until we find an agreeable solution such that we may continue to distribute POAPs and that POAP can have confidence that their product is being used as intended. We want to shine the best light possible on POAP.

Thank you,
KL

1 Like

Fiore,

I see we were just issued 100 links for Choy Madness round 4. I appreciate any role you may have played in getting us those links. I wanted to keep you updated on how we are implementing the feedback you gave me.

For this round we are allowing our whole community to play - but only holders of our product, and inner-members of the community who have earned a special discord role that required multiple layers of human interaction and time spent in our discord (thus focus on our community rather than POAPs) are eligible to receive POAP links. Only people active on a daily basis in our discord server will even know that there are POAPs attached to this round, as we will not advertise the fact on twitter.

I believe this will address all of your concerns. Unfortunately it will still leave many dedicated members of our community without a POAP to commemorate their participation in this event, but we understand the need to build up a positive track record to earn the trust required for bigger drops. We know this will be a positive step in that direction.

Best,
KL

Hey @KL_FC

I’m glad to hear that your petition received a positive review :dizzy:
You can request a top-up petition later if you need more codes. If the curation body sees that your drop has been well-executed, you will receive a positive review :slight_smile:

Regarding the Twitter Spaces, the best distribution method would be Secret Word. Secrets are used to distribute POAPs through the use of an issuer-selected word or phrase that collectors use to claim a POAP via the POAP app ( iOS/Android ).

• Use a random Secret; don’t use a word that is in the title of your drop. For example, for a drop titled “Isabel’s Birthday at Ahupulco,” a secret word like “WeLovePuppies” is fine, but “IsabelAhupulco” is easy to guess and should not be used.
  • Activate the Secret only at the start of your event and deactivate it as soon as it finishes.
  • Only say the word verbally (don’t share it by DM or elsewhere online).

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hi Fiore,

Our twitter spaces is really soon, so I’m not positive I can do it for this one, if I can not we will distribute manually to ensure that only people at the spaces gets a POAP. I will certainly work out the secret phrase for next week.

Please let me know if I can provide any documentation or other relevant information regarding today’s spaces and the event that we just received links for that would better help POAP evaluate the drop performance.

Thanks,
Aaron

1 Like

Hey @KL_FC

If you plan to distribute manually, the best option is to open a Google form and find a way to vet the collectors to ensure that at least a good portion of the drop goes to genuine members of your community.

For instance: You can ask people a question only attentive individuals would know to prequalify.

Hope this helps!

Hi Fiore,

My partner told me that he had been previously instructed to not use secret words whenever possible, by a different POAP team member because it was susceptible to people linking the secret word, even during a 1 hour audio event. To split the difference and ensure that our collectors were all genuine and engaged members of our community we manually distributed links to people who were at the audio event and were able to answer a 2 question quiz about the contents of the space. I even changed the questions up person to person to make sure that details were not getting out to the wrong people. We distributed fewer links than normal as a result but I have 100% confidence in who received them, so a worthwhile tradeoff. I hope this is an amenable solution as it incorporates all of your suggestions and concerns without directly contradicting the directives my partner has gotten from a different team member. We are continuing to improve our drops and I think you will find more confidence in both the drop discussed here and the Choy Madness Round 4 drop that we got 100 links for, when it has completed.

Thanks for all of your help and feedback,
KL

1 Like