#32335 event / Has not been approved in 24 hours / Date event: March 17th 2022 /

1. Drop ID: #32335
Date:March 17th 2022
Codes Requested: 150 (I have analyzed better, and although I initially requested 150 codes because we expect 150 attendees, it is not a community that knows POAP, so I consider that the ideal number of codes should be between 50 and 80 codes). Can the number of requested codes be modified? I don’t want there to be unclaimed codes)

2. Community information
StartupGrind is the world’s largest tech startup community headquartered in Silicon Valley. StartupGrind’s global community is made up of more than 3.5 million people spread across 600 chapters around the world, in more than 130 countries. Our local chapter (Mérida-venezuela) has about 2 thousand people registered between our website, social networks, and our database. However, our attendees are not just local members: there is an open invitation on the startupgrind global events board, to all members of the world. Because it is an event in Spanish, we expect only the Latin American community. For this event we expect 150 attendees. Our local social networks: ig @sgmeridave (Login • Instagram). Our global networks: ig: @startup (Login • Instagram). Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/StartupGrind // Our web page local chapter startupGrind Mérida: www.startupgrind.com/merida // our web page global: www.startupgrind.com // Ig of the place of the event: Login • Instagram

3. Nature of the event
We celebrate our central event of the month of March. We run different activities on an ongoing basis, but we always have a central monthly event where we all come together to learn something new, make friends, understand how we can help each other grow, and learn how the organization can use its global community network to help great ideas grow. become global opportunities. Our event on March 17th is our biggest event in March and is also a preliminary to our global conference in April (Startup Grind Global Conference | 12 - 13 April 2022), where we will have Sam Bankman-Fried (CEO FTX), and we will also launch DAO StartupGrind, where we will seek to finance 30 Startups with 100 thousand dollars each during the year 2022.

4. Distribution plan
Manual Distribution: We will send codes to each attending email, both in person and online. We verify attendance at the door of the event( in Garage Rock Bar ig: garagerockbar ), and we attach your data to deliver the POAP via email after the event. The online presence is verified by our Bevy system (they only enter previously registered) and a confirmation question to the online public made live to guarantee that we interact with real people. Our system is already configured to tell us who attended and who did not register, however, we will have manual verification. At the end of the event, we will send the Claim codes to each of the event attendees. As it is our first POAP, we consider having at least two days to claim the POAP to help our community to get it effectively as our community is new to POAP.

5. Why do you think this request is being made?
It is our first POAP as a StartupGrind Merida chapter. I thought I had done well, but after reviewing manuals and tutorials for two days, I discovered that I still have a lot to learn. I have better configured our POAP request configuration, and I hope it now fits the requirements. If something is missing to improve it, we are willing to learn everything :slight_smile:

thank you; Héctor Alonzo Gómez, Chapter Director StartupGrind-Merida

Hey @hectorAlonzo :wave:

Your drop is nice, but unfortunately, we can’t accept any events held in OFAC-sanctioned countries :pensive:

Looking forward to seeing more StartupGrind petitions for events in other countries!

Kind regards,
The POAP Curation Body

It has happened that organizations suspend relationships with private institutions in Venezuela, which is a mistake. Especially since we are not even registered in Venezuela, we depend directly on our central office in the USA. We are an organization from the USA that simply has certified people in Venezuela. Those who are sanctioned are directly members of the government and companies of the Venezuelan state, but not Venezuelans or organizations in Venezuela that do things honestly and with great effort. What I want to indicate with this is that no international organization commits any illegality for having relations with institutions or private persons in Venezuela, that we make an enormous, superhuman effort to bring this to people who need it, who also dream, who also deserve it. who is also talented. In fact, the reason the sanctions exist is because the local government wants to crush people like us. Due to misinterpretation of sanctions, then organizations like this also leave us out? It is a misreading of the sanctions, because I have to say that I have looked at them enough to indicate that it is a misreading. I understand the effort you make, and I understand that many times some things get out of hand, but I ask you to reconsider and analyze it. We do this for the people, because we dream, because technology allows us to build freedom.

I know that our situation is difficult to understand and in this moment of so much growth of POAP consider this is difficult for you. But I ask you for that effort. I promise you we will do our best to do things as well as possible.

Thank you.

Dear POAP.XYZ team,

Referring to OFAC sanctions and a necessary better interpretation:

I have promoted sanctions against the criminal structure that kidnapped Venezuela. For this reason I am going to expand on the explanation of why the current position of POAP.xyz is wrong in this vision of sanctions on Venezuela. I gave this explanation to ADOBE before, and they smartly reconsidered their position (Adobe compliance with U.S. Executive Order | Venezuela). I have had to do this with several organizations, with success. I ask you for patience and good will to analyze the process intelligently and to have a fair resolution worthy of the minds that we meet here. It is no longer about my event, it is about my country, for which I have dead friends, persecuted and a lot of suffering in our families. My team and I give our lives for a dream called Venezuela, and this is not metaphorical. We give our lives for this. I do not ask your life, I only ask of you a few minutes to read an extensive but necessary explanation and from there necessarily reconsider your position:

We have promoted sanctions against criminals who subject Venezuelan citizens by taking away their access to global solutions and closing freedoms. The OFAC sanctions are to pressure and force the tyranny of Venezuela to structure a democratic and free state. The sanctions are strictly against the government, not against citizens or companies, or private organizations of any kind, as long as they are not linked to sanctions (and this is public). If an organization with the excuse of sanctions penalizes Venezuelan citizens or private Venezuelan companies, it would be more in line with the behavior of the Venezuelan tyranny than with the objectives of OFAC. Is POAP.xyz with the tyrannical government of Venezuela or with OFAC? Why do I say this? If you are with OFAC, then you should support organizations that seek to promote education, entrepreneurship, and a freer, more democratic society. If POAP.xyz penalizes Venezuelan citizens and private companies or private organizations, then it takes the same position as the Venezuelan government: take away opportunities from good citizens and limit freedoms.

Does poap.xyz do it out of fear or justice? OFAC acts for justice. I make this justification to ask that we act in terms of justice and not out of fear. Fear that is also out of logic, since there is no sanction that prevents what is requested here. None.

I am sorry to be so harsh and place this point of contradiction. I only do it because it is necessary in terms of understanding to take the contradiction to the extreme in order to understand. I have nothing against poap.xyz: on the contrary, I send my love and admiration. I have learned about POAP these days like never before thanks to you. I have been very excited to learn and I have taken a deep affection for this community in a very short time. And I want to continue here, and I want that in Venezuela we can use POAP.

Reading the executive orders referring to the sanctions on Venezuela does not take 1 hour of your time, they are short documents that can be obtained at this link, even with authorizations: Office of Foreign Assets Control - Sanctions Programs and Information | U.S. Department of the Treasury sanctions-programs-and-country-information/venezuela-related-sanctions

However, here I place the executive orders contained in the previous link directly:

Executive Orders;
13884 - Blocking Property of the Government of Venezuela - (August 5, 2019) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/13884_0.pdf
13857 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the National Emergency With Respect to Venezuela (January 25, 2019) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/13857.pdf
13850 - Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (November 1, 2018) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/venezuela_eo_13850.pdf
13835 - Prohibiting Certain Additional Transactions with Respect to Venezuela (May 21, 2018) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/venezuela_eo_13835.pdf
13827 - Taking Additional Steps to Address the Situation in Venezuela (March 19, 2018) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/13827.pdf
13808 - Imposing Additional Sanctions with Respect to the Situation in Venezuela (August 24, 2017) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/13808.pdf
13692 - Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (March 8, 2015) https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/13692.pdf

In all the executive orders they are sufficiently clear: The sanctions are on the central government of Venezuela, the Central Bank of Venezuela and PDVSA (Petróleos de Venezuela), and there are even lists of specific people sanctioned. The only problem that US organizations registered in Venezuela may have is the payment of taxes to the government and other activities that depend on sanctions, and yet this authorization is resolved and no specific authorization is required:

It is worth noting that StartupGrind is not registered in Venezuela. Only other private organizations of their own are registered, which are the ones that finance and are the ones that make it possible to raise the startupGrind flag, also supporting local education in different aspects and promoting entrepreneurs. Therefore, the StartupGrind Mérida chapter does not even have a tax payment relationship or any other type of accountability with the Venezuelan state. Formally, you would be issuing POAPs to an organization registered in the USA. We have the chapter because we are certified by Silicon Valley to use StartupGrind, we are part of the global team, and we are very clear about the context of action based on sanctions. However, even if we had a local registry, there would be no problem due to the aforementioned authorization, there is no excuse: (https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/venezuela_gl29.pdf).

Likewise, there is a specific authorization referring to technology and software: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/venezuela_gl25.pdf;

It is worth noting that the authorization that speaks about software and technology is an authorization to negotiate under certain terms with organizations related to sanctions. It does not speak of authorizing operations with private persons and private Venezuelan companies, because such a thing is not penalized, it does not require authorization, unless they are going to issue POAPs to government or sanctioned organizations. In that case, if there may be problems regarding sanctions, unless they request a specific authorization that is requested here: https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/financial-sanctions/ofac-license-application -page

To issue POAPs to any other organization in Venezuela that is not linked to sanctions, there is no problem. Of course, how can you know if those who are issued POAPs are government allies if you do not know internally the problem of Venezuela? In that case, it becomes important to have Venezuelan curators. If that would help, then I would prepare myself and even people on my team to help.

Thank you for reading something so important to us. I hope you can help us and reconsider your position rationally and fairly.

Kind regards;
Hector Alonzo Gomez, Chapter Director

Hey @hectorAlonzo ,

Thanks for the thorough explanation of the situation, and for having the patience to educate us on the matter. Normally I’d go ahead and review the petition, but as you have modifications, I recommend you submit a new one. Please visit the edit page of the event you’ve previously created, and click “Request more mint links” in the top right corner to request the number of links you’d like.

As to the rest of the information, I’ll take the opportunity to state some things transparently: namely, that we at POAP are experts at preserving collective memories (not so much at forming policy to be compliant with international sanctions law). Would it be okay for me to run this by our legal team, and amend the policy per their advice?

I have received the codes. I am very grateful to you.

Answering the question: I would recommend including Venezuela, only that I observe that it is necessary to have local curators who can analyze to which organization the POAPS is issued. Indeed, they should not issue POAPs to sanctioned organizations, but to private organizations that have no connection with those sanctioned organizations. Because this implies an analysis of each request, I believe that it is indeed very difficult for you being geographically distant from Venezuela, and for that reason you need local curators. How can we help to make it possible to issue POAPs in Venezuea with such care? For us locally it is easy to identify it, but for people who are not in the local ecosystem it will not be easy to identify the organizations.

It will also be nice to help this project, in what we can help, we are ready.

Héctor Alonzo Gómez

@isabel I’m working with Hector on Intercom right now and he’s now submitted his request for an additional 80 mint links. I see the notes on retool regarding the country restriction so I wanted to pop in here to remind of the conversation above so this 2nd batch is not automatically denied.

Thank you for your attention Isabel and Samuel.

I was confused because I received an email approving the initial application and I thought I was done. That’s why I didn’t follow the previous indication to generate a new request with the amount of codes that I really need. I wanted to verify it and Samuel informed me that he did not have any approval, even though he had the txt with the codes. I understand it was some system error. I’m sorry for causing you so much trouble. What makes me happy is that they are willing to solve them despite contexts as complex as ours.

As Samuel indicates, I have generated the new request for 80 codes. Our event is in 3 hours, but we will send it after the event via email to each attendee. I already have 110 registered for the event, so with total certainty those 80 codes will have a safe distribution. Sometimes it is difficult to predict the exact number of attendees at our events. Last night I barely had 70 registered and I already have 40 more.

We can wait for approval after the event. Delivery is after the event by email.

Héctor Alonzo Gómez.
Thak you!.

Hey @hectorAlonzo

Congrats, looks like your petition for 80 codes received a positive review.

Let us know if you need further help! Hope you had enjoyed your event :slight_smile:

All the best,
The POAP Curation Body